Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturdays

On the subject of purpose, I would like to enter a little ramble about Saturdays. Saturdays are house-cleaning days (not restricted to the inside of the house, but sometimes anything within a fifty-foot radius), and when we clean, we clean. There's no joking around about this cleaning business. We use flamethrowers, sometimes. We scrub, clean, dust, and scour every blasted inch of our 23,000 sq foot house, and most times the outside as well.
Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating. It isn't about the amount of cleaning, but the principle of the thing. Since when were Saturdays, "working days"?! Since the beginning of the Israeli nation in 1,400-something B.C., there has been a Jud├Žo-Christian idea that most people call a "sabbath". A day used to rest. Traditionally, that day has always been Saturday. So what would compel one to sacrifice this perfectly rational idea for the sake of "cleanliness"? Perhaps, you say, it is because "cleanliness is next to godliness." But where is that in the Bible?! No, I say, the entire point of the word SATURDAY is being lost on my family. Its purpose is to provide rest and relaxation, not stress and scrubbing! It has come to a point where the very word "Saturday" instills fear in the hearts of children across the face of, well, my house. Isn't this "Saturday" supposedly something that is to be looked forward to? The purpose has been lost, nay! perverted!
In the name of all that is good and holy, why clean?! It's only, according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, going to get dirty again. How can you argue with science? In cleaning, we seek temporary enjoyment of cleanliness, because soon enough, it will only get dirty again. But, in not cleaning, we receive everlasting happiness of not having to clean!
You may point to Booker T. Washington and argue that there is glory in labor. But, according to Solomon, labor is vanity! "Thus I hated all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun, for I must leave it to the man who will come after me. And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the fruit of my labor for which I have labored by acting wisely under the sun. This too is vanity" (Ecc. 2:18-19).
Should we clean? Should we pervert the very name and meaning of the formerly beautiful thing that we like to call "Saturday"? I'll leave you to decide.

No comments:

Quotation of the Day

Hit Counter!