Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thanks Be, Sweet Seventeen

For those of you that don't know, I turned seventeen yesterday. Seventeen seems to be one of those birthdays that no one really cares about. It's sandwiched between two bigger events (16 and 18), and seems to me, at least, to get lost in the mix.

Nevertheless, I had one of the greatest birthdays of my short life. I went out to breakfast with my dad at IHOP. So we sit down, and begin to look at the menus. All of a sudden a huge arm flew past my head and began rapidly tapping my dad's menu.

The owner of aforesaid arm started to say, very quickly, "Get the t-bone steak and eggs, that's what you want, t-bone steak an eggs!"

I look up and see a very large...person. I had to look at her name tag (which read "Ginger") before I could determine her gender; she was like six feet tall and had a very low voice. She was standing beside me (how the heck did she get there) and bouncing all around. "What can I get you to drink? You want raspberry lemonade, lemonade, root beer? Watchoo want?"

So I replied, "Uh...I'll have some milk..."

"Oh that's a good choice, good choice, what about choo?" She said, pointing at my dad, "Choo want milk too? Ok two milks it is." (Of course my dad never said that he wanted a milk...)

So she leaves and my dad and I look at each other, apparently stunned silent.

"What just happened?" He asked incredulously.

In regular fashion, I replied, "That just happened."

In good time, she returns with two milks. At that point my good old dad decided to say, "We have a birthday here..."

To which she yelled, "BIRTHDAY?! It's your birthday? Oh, well we gotta sing!" At once, she began a hearty rendition of "Happy Birthday" at the top of her lungs, clapping (on beat). My dad joined in for good humor, and the rest of the patrons in the restaurant looked on in mild amusement (or mild discomfort). As soon as the song ended, Ginger gave a throaty yell and ran off.

At this point my dad and I were close to busting out in laughter. Ginger continued to bustle around, waiting on EVERY TABLE in the entire restaurant! It was nothing short of amazing...

She soon returned and threw a bowl of ice cream down in front of me. "Have a little snacky-wacky!"(BEFORE we ate breakfast! Before she even took our order!)

She ran off to wait on other tables...needless to say, I enjoyed my snacky-wacky. Especially the wacky part.

Eventually, Ginger came back to take our order. I decided on the chocolate chip pancakes ("Oh, that's a good choice, that's exactly what I'd be having right now!"). My dad wanted to order the 2x2x2 (which was two pancakes, two eggs and two strips of bacon or something), but Ginger had other ideas.

"Oh, no, you don't want that, that's $7.99 you want this, it's only $5.99" she said pointing to his menu, "it's the same deal, you still get your pancakes and your eggs and all that, but it's cheaper. Yeah that's what you'll have."

She left and we got our food promptly.

Not gonna lie, it was one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time.

More on my birthday later,

~Charlemayn

3 comments:

SensibleMom said...

Cree, you make me want to go to that IHOP just so we can have that waiter(ess)! What a funny thing! What did your dad actually receive? The Steak and Eggs or the 2 x 2 x 2? What fun!

Cree said...

Haha my dad did end up getting the Steak and Eggs...so funny. It was the IHOP down off of Alicia and Aliso Creek Road.

Bethany said...

Happy birthday!
Wow, that may be one of the funniest, zanny-est birthday-breakfast stories I will ever hear. That waitress sounds like an interesting character-in a good way, of course.

Seventeen is a good year, even though it's often overlooked. Hey, you know, that's the year I became part of Kingsfield.

Quotation of the Day

Hit Counter!